Thursday, March 11, 2010

Handy information- Destination Shegaon! Travelogue!

Updated February 2017 Jai Gajanan......
This post is an advisory on how to fully experience Shegaon and come closer to Gajanan Maharaj. (Note: Bhakti, Travel, Darshan are all subjective, to each his own as they say) My family has been travelling to Shegaon since 1977, I was blessed to be born into a Gajanan Maharaj parivar in 1991. I love listening to stories from ajji, ajoba, mamma on how the holy town has changed over the past 40 years. You can make a few changes as per your schedule but you would love if you follow this - My effort is to gather all information from my family sources and compile them for you.

1. Travel by Train-- it is convenient, cheap, comfortable and effective. Sansthan buses, Tonga Rickshaws Or normal Rickshaws are available 24/7 to pick you up from the train station (even at odd hours). If you don't manage to get any of these (which will never happen) you can walk to the Bhakta Nivas. Sansthan Buses are absolutely FREE but you have to wait until it is full (so not advisable in the morning because we need to rush on the (Abhishek hours), Tonga Rickshaws cost about 20/- to 25/- and Normal rickshaws 35/-. (Note: The rates mentioned here are liberal you can negotiate-- try and do that.)

2. Trains from Mumbai and Pune (Pune-Nagpur Express, Azad Hind Express, Howrah Mail, Sewagram Express, and Vidharba Express) usually all (except Maharashtra and Geetanjali Express) reach in the early morning wee hours at Shegaon which is an advantage for reaching on time for Kakad aarti and Abhishek.

3. Try going on an odd day such as Tuesday, Wednesday, or Friday when you will have less rush at Shegaon and can receive a peaceful darshan.

4. DO NOT pay attention I repeat DO NOT to the men outside the main gate of the Bhakta Nivas; they will try and convince you of lodging outside of Bhakta Nivas- NEVER try to, always check with the Bhakta Nivas (all the money goes to the Sanstha and is a great way to help) plus subsidized rates and cleanliness at its best. Rates are EXHORBITANT in the hotels outside Bhakta Nivas!

5. As money is not the top priority for the Sansthan- rates are subsidized (e.g. Mineral Water 8/-) at the Bhakta Nivas with good facilities and cleanliness the top priority; you will find large coolers in the rooms, big clean restrooms and clean, crisp linen on double beds. They are well equipped and a great way to have a peace of mind. (Note: You will have to pay a deposit of 500/- (which may have changed now) at the counter while booking a room, prefer bhakta nivas 5 always - it is the best of the lot; Rates differ accordingly)

6. Hotels outside as said earlier are too expensive with an Air Conditioning Facility which you don't need if you have a 7 ft cooler, small, congested rooms a TV set and a Bathroom with attached toilet. Rates vary from 700/- to 1800/- (increased on business days and as per their convenience).

7. Rush to the temple as soon as you get done with your bath and chores in the morning - be quick and do not be lazy! Do not waste time- reach the temple as early as possible and the first thing you must do is have a receipt printed of 51/-, 101/- or 151/- at the DENGI counter inside the temple for your Abhishek. (Note: The Abhishek timings are 5:30 to 7:30 in the morning and so you have to hurry. DO NOT GIVE ANY MONEY TO THE PUJARI THERE HE IS BEEN PAID BY THE SANSTHA AND WE DO NOT NEED TO SPLURGE AT THE WRONG PLACE, IT IS VIOLATING THE RULES OF THE SANSTHA.)

8. After having the abhishek done of maharaj’s paduka head for samadhi darshan, usually there is no rush in the morning except for Thursdays and Sundays you may go straight in the Gabara if there are limited number of devotees.

9. Be calm and do not rush! You are in Maharaj’s safe hands, no need to worry you are in your life’s happiest, joyful and complete moment- Enjoy the experience and thank maharaj! The devotion, the fragrance of the flowers, the gana gana ganaat bote japp, ghoshna are out of this world! Note:(You can bring home-cooked modaks (fried), Chitale's Pedhe, or any Prasad for Maharaj, Mamma usually takes modaks which Maharaj loves- the pujari will keep it on Maharaj's padukas and give it back to you) I have seen people cry in front of maharaj (Happy Tears probably)!!!
10. After you are done with the darshan and you head out you will be guided to the Ram Temple and then Hanuman temple and then out. (Note: Remember to taste and apply the ANGARA near the Hanuman Temple! I did not see it there the last time I visited, you can have the anagara where the dhuni is next to the Gadi.)

11. You may start your Pradakshinas if you want now……

12. After Pradkshinas (atleast 5) if possible you may go to the dengi counter and donate money for ANNADAN, IMARAT NIDHI, ANAND SAGAR, etc….. (Prefer Annadan)

13. By now it would be 10:30 or so be ready for the AARTI the elephants would be on their way…. The aarti goes on for about half and hour…. You can observe all the swayamsevaks, dengi counter officials and all of the temple staff bowing to maharaj after the aarti.

14. The Mahaprasad begins after the Aarti, there is a different queue for the mahaprasad and usually takes ½ hour in the queue depending on the rush, I request all of you reading this-- (PLEASE DO NOT SKIP THE MAHAPRASAD AND HAVE LUNCH OUTSIDE- NOT ADVISABLE) there is a different taste, a different delicacy in the food maharaj has had- you will be full after you have had the Mahaprasad, so you may rest now (you will start feeling the heat of sheagon by now( the temperature rises by this time).

15. The keys of the Bhakta nivas room will be with you, you may submit it at the counter if you wish either or whichever you are comfortable with and take a peaceful nap at the room for about an hour.

16. Very IMPORTANT: If you are planning to stay overnight then after your nap is over and have had a cup of tea at the restaurant on the ground floor of Bhakta Nivas 5 you may visit ANAND SAGAR!!!

17. If you are planning to leave Shegaon at about 4 the same day ( as I usually do, lots of time and convenient if you go regularly go to shegaon) there are trains available 4:40 is Maharashtra Express, 17:55 AZAD HIND EXPRESS, Howrah Mail at 19:20….(re-check with indiarailinfo.com) for the timings and more trains.

18. Plan your journey--- tickets are usually available for this route but still check with various sites available.

19. Devotees who are staying overnight may visit Anand Sagar (Sansthan Buses Free Rickshaw 50/-) in the Evening where you will spend time in a jiffy! (If you have paid for annadan at the Mandir and have a receipt with you - take it along to Anand Sagar - you have a free entry ! (IT IS HUGEEEEE so plan out)

20. Better Plan and go you cannot just take a Sneak Peak at ANAND SAGAR it will need a day for you to travel all along….(don’t miss the toy train, aquarium, dhyan sadan there)

21. You may have your dinner at Anand Sagar's cafeteria or come back to Bhakta nivas again and walk in a decent restaurant oustide Bhakta Nivas enroute towards Mandir named as "Snehanjali!" (Good food-- mainly south Indian and Punjabi etc. (City-visitors will like it!)

22. Rest at Night……

23. In the morning take a cup of tea at the temple--- It has been a ritual for my mamma to have a cup of tea at KOTHALE's TEA for the last 35 years so I can say it is excellent quality. There is a famous Kachori shop next to it inside the temple - "Annapurna's " - have that and proceed to the Mandir for darshan. (Repeat the above instructions again if you like- you will never get bored, also there are shops opposite Kothale's and Annapurna which have accessories etc of Maharaj)If you are planning to buy a pothi or a Gajanan Maharaj photo buy it from Sansthan's outlet next to where cocunut is broken in two pieces.

24. There are Tonga rickshaws available outside the temple's main gate, you may fix a Tonga Rickshaw and go around in Shegaon there are 5 points which the Tonga Rickshwavala will show… Pragat STHAN, BANKAT SADAN, Mote Mandir, hanuman Mandir!!! 51/- rupees at the most(you can be generous here to the tonga rickshavala- he puts in his effort to carry you)!

This is a sincere effort in helping the Bhakts of my beloved Maharaj to Travel to Shegaon! I hope your journey is comfortable and may maharaj bless you with all that you need.
May Maharaj give me strength to write more! Note: If you find this useful - please leave a comment at the end! There isn't much satisfaction than to read a comment of how this information was useful to you.
Jai gajanan!!
Gana Gana Ganat Bote…..!!!
Pranaav For an efficient and quicker way to get your queries or questions answered regarding your travel plans to Shegaon - email me at pranaav24@gmail.com

71 comments:

  1. is room at bhakt nivas can booked in advance

    ReplyDelete
  2. No you cannot book room in bhakt nivas. Rooms will be given on first come basis for maximum 3 days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. food of snehanjali is really good

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pranav, A very well written article. I can see your faith and shradha in maharaj in each sentence you have written, As I know you from few years through bhakt parivar yahoo group. You wrote a Very Nice post. I really appreciate....Also I felt really very good after reading your experience which you had after your shegaon visit. I pray that Maharaj will give me darshan some day. May Maharaj Bless you always....Ram - Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pranaav , your blog is really were informative.I would really appreciate if you could suggest me with the names of few best hotels to stay in shegaon .I am planing for 2 day stay to explore Shree Gajanan Maharaj's place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pranav,your information is very useful.Today I am going to SHEGAON.I feel,this will help me a lot.Thanks!Harshlata.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi pranav, Is parking facility is available in Bhaktanivas if i come by car.How is the position of availability in January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pranav I liked your information..butI would like to the conditions or documents requires for accommodation..

      Delete
  8. The best information i came across about any place. tourist plan is very nice, i just have to pack my luggage and leave for shegaon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have planned for 2 day in shegoan for maharaj darshan and to explore shegoan can u suggest places other than Anandsagar .... also some other places to resisdes if didnt got accomodation at bhaktniwas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How far is bhakt niwas from railway stn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey Pranav,

    That's very informative article by you. Thanks! I believe the information provided will really solve my purpose of my next week's Shegaon trip.

    I'm going to take a print-out of this article and carry along with me during my trip for my convenience. I hope you won't mind that.

    Thank you once again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi... Pranav, you just have supplied a worth information. God bless you. Thanks....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi I am visiting Shegaon on 29th oct can any body help me for the hotel booking details of the sansthan or private or near anand sagar

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi pranav,
    thanks for giving such a nice information for the people who wants to go to shegaon. god bless you dear

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Pranav,

    Very thanks for providing such n excellent article. My parents will be visitng Sheagon in January 2012. Can anybody help me with the Bhakta Niwas booking. Is there any place around Sheagaon to explore. Kindly suggest. U can mail me on rampratap16@gmail.com or Call 9920895701

    ReplyDelete
  16. First of all Gana Gana Ganaat Bote!
    I logged in to the blog a year afterwards to witness a sea of comments on this post!
    Couldn't help shed a tear!
    Thank you for the overwhelming response!
    love you all
    May maharaj connect me to each and everyone of you..
    Jai Gajanan
    More updates coming soon...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Pranav,
    Very well written. I want to sincerly thankyou that because of this article I was able to plan my trip to Shegaon and followed your exact instructions - It turned out to be a memorable experience for me - The room at Bhakti niwas was excellent and Murti of Maharaj is in my heart for ever - I want to give you credit for allowing me to come close to shri Gajanan Maharaj - Jai Gajanan.
    Warm Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sameer,
      That was exactly the reason why I took up to write this blog! I apologize for the late reply but it makes me feel so happy that you have had an amazing experience in Shegaon- Plan another one soon! :) I have tweaked in some changes, so if you want to read it a second-time!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Pranaav - Jai Shri Gajanan - I am going to Shegaon again this time on March 6th 2013 (Wednesday ). If it is not too much of work for you can you answer my following questions.
      1. We are reaching by Mahrashtra Express at 11:00 AM. So by the time we go to Bhakti Niwas / take quick shower in the common shower and go for darshan will it be too late for Mahaprasad - I read on the website that Mahaprasad is only till 1:00 PM. Again I am not sure how much line will be there for darshan on Wedensday afternoon. So if you can give your opinion it will help to plan.
      2. Till what time the Deni Counters are open on Wednesday.
      Sorry to bother you with all the questions. Thanks once again. Warm Regards Sameer

      Delete
  18. excellent information.

    Found some more information and pics on the following site

    http://www.parkhi.net/2012/01/shegaon-gajanan-maharaj-anand-sagar.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much ... Pranav.. a very commendable job indeed. Jai Gajanan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! Glad I was of some help! You can send in additional information if you feel could be added into the post!

      Delete
  20. Greetings Pranaav
    Extremely Well Defined and Detailed Blog

    I am researching on Shegaon as have never been and your blog has truly helped me to compile most of the info
    I was keen to know your co ordinates so could speak eventually , my id is gvk@gvk.asia
    regards
    Girish Vasudev Kulkarni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girish,
      I am pleased to know my blog has been informative for a thesis-orientated person. It was an effort to guide bhakts headed for Shegaon, you can get in touch with me at pranaav24@gmail.com .
      I am glad I was of help to you.

      Delete
  21. jai Gajanan !

    i hav no words for dis blog .well done pranaav
    u may also guide to all for sant gomaji temple at Nagjhili nearest shegaon

    i m going to shegaon at end of dis month ..2-3 visited per year for darshan of brahmand Nayak.

    gan gan ganat bote.............

    Raj....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raj,
      I hope you have had a great trip at the end of June, I apologize for the late response, it is great to know you have visited shegaon 2-3 times in a year!
      You are blessed! Also, let me know more of Sant Gomaji Temple at naghjhili, I will be happy to post information about it !

      Delete
  22. very nice & very informative article really very much touching , iam just feeling that while reading i am in Shegaon at the holy place of Gajanan maharaj ,thanks for sharing so lovely info. !
    may Gajanan Mharaj bless us all devotees !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rahul,
      Thank you for your comment, there isn't a better acknowledgement than to know the reader was imagining he was in shegaon while reading! :)

      Delete
  23. GANA GANA GANAAT BOTE

    Dear Mr. Pranav,
    I am visiting Shegaon next month with my family for the first time. wanted to know relevant details about the place. After reading your article,i feel no need to know more.Your article is not only very informative,but full of your devotion and the shraddha for Shree Gajanan Maharaj,which catches on. Many many thanks,

    Regards,
    Suryakant Jadhav

    JAY SHREE GAJANAN MAHARAJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suryakantji,
      It is my effort to make a joy-ride of gajanan maharaj's bhakts at shegaon. I am glad you liked the information! :)I hope you have had a fabulous trip to shegaon, I also apologize for the late response!

      Delete
  24. Jai Gajanan

    Thanx for such Useful Information . I just want to know that can i do the online booking for Bhaktniwas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nishant, you will not be able to do online booking- Sansthan believes in first-come-first basis and equality for all and hence the policy! It is not difficult to get a room once you reach Shegaon!

      Delete
  25. Hi Pranav,
    Thank you so much for your information. I am planning to go to Shegaon on 21st dec with my family. so Thank u so much, this information will help me a lot. God bless u.

    Gan Gan Ganat Bote,
    Jai Gajanan Maharaj :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tweaked in some more information, so you can re-read it once again! Thank you for your response, I wish you a happy stay in the divine land! :)

      Delete
    2. In December there is a lot of rush due to X-mas vacation please check over the phone with the Gajanan Sansthan in shegaon before you leave post 25th Dec to Jan 1 is the peak season.

      Delete
  26. Hello Pranav...I was searching on the net for information on trains and the temple at Shegaon...I usually travel alone and hence make it a point to collect precise information on the destination...Tracked only 2 sites, viz. one for booking the train and other was your blog!!!!Superbly written...Thanks for writing a very detailed description...in clear and concise manner...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your appreciation! :)

      Delete
    2. Getting accommodation for single occupancy is possible at Anandvihar?

      Delete
    3. Getting accommodation for single occupancy is possible at Anandvihar?

      Delete
    4. Please guide me to get a single occupancy accommodation there.

      Delete
  27. Well written. Thanks for all the details.

    recently read about online booking for Bhakt Niwas. Do you have any idea?

    Thanks,
    Vaishali

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you! For more information on Bhakta Nivas- you can get in touch with them directly at -- 07279 252699

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Pranav,

    Yesterday came across your blog about shegaon & packed bags immediately today for shegaon. Reading this blog to me was none less than experience of visit. And hey i got your instructions printed & going to keep that with me while journey. Thanx for writing this blog. May Shree Gajanan Maharaj bless you a lot for helping people. Gan Gan Ganat Bote!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Achalaji,
      It is wonderful to know you will be carrying a hard copy of this article with you - I couldn't feel more blessed - Thank you for your acknowledgement! :) Hope you have had a wonderful trip and darshan!

      Delete
  30. Hello Pranav..Thank you very much for your wonderful blog.since last 4 weeks I was searching on the net for information on trains and the temple at Shegaon.I am going to visit shegaon on 6th march and going to carry copy of your blog. This information will help me a lot. God bless u.Gana Gana Ganaat Bote !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nareshji! Hope you have a wonderful darshan and trip! :)

      Delete
  31. Thanks Pranaav, This indeed is a very useful information. I am visiting this Saturday i.e. 6th April and will leave on Sunday evening, hope I will get Bhaktt Nivas as My parents are also coming from Nagpur. Do you know any other hotel if in case I don't get accommodation in Bhaktt Nivas.

    Thanks again,
    Nilesh - 9225243949

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said, Snehanjali is very close to the mandir and a good option ONLY IF you do not get into Bhakta Nivas. Your parents will love bhakta nivas and the experience attached to it. Have a wonderful time in Shegaon. Stay Blessed!

      Delete
  32. Excellent Info. Thanks.

    Gana Gana Ganat Bote

    ReplyDelete
  33. Dear Pranav,

    I am planning my trip to shegaon in the month of aug 2013.
    It will be great if you please help me with some queries I am having.
    As august is the monsoon season; I would like to know is this perfect time to schedule a trip to shegaon? I am going from Mumbai along with my aai and baba so doesn’t want to take any chance. Apart from shegaon is there any other location near by vidharbha which we can consider for a visit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a perfect time to visit, monsoon will recede and the temperatures will be much cooler.
      There is a famous Balaji temple at Deolgaonraja - make sure you visit.

      Delete
  34. Hi Sir,

    One of my aunty suggested me to read Maharajas Pothi so that the problems in my married life is solved. I compeleted reading it twice very recently. Yesterday at night i read your article and today morning booked tickets for Shegaon for the next weekend with my parents. We will start our journey on Thursday night and will reach early morning Friday by 6 at shegaon. I just wish that we should be there on time for Abhishek and arti. And Saturday evening we have return train. I am very excited to see Maharaj and bow to him also visit Anand sagar for peace of mind.

    Regards,
    Vaishnavi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vaishanavi,
      I hope you have a wonderful stay at Shegaon, I wish you peace. Stay blessed!

      Delete
  35. GANA GANA GANAT BOTE....

    I am going for darshan of Maharaj to Shegaon on 30th July on my mothers birthday... Your blog is very informative for first time visitors to Shegaon. Thank you on behalf of all Maharaj bhakta's for all the information about nivas darshan & other points also. Hope it will useful for me & all bhakta's of Maharaj.

    Mahesh Patil.
    Kolhapur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Mahesh, I wish you have a wonderful trip to shegaon and a peaceful darshan of maharaj.
      Also wish your mom a very happy birthday.

      Delete
  36. Dear Pranaav,

    Very nicely drafted information. Helped me a lot during my trip to shegaon. Would like to update that as per new policy now identify card is mandatory to take room in bhakta niwas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Deepak,
      Identity card has always been mandatory. :)

      Delete
  37. Dear Pranaav,
    Gana Gana Ganat Bote.
    Thanks for the valuable information that you have provided on this blog. I thought it will be great if I visit first and then write my comment. I left pune for Shegaon on 19th September the very next day after ganpati visarjan. I reached their around 4 AM on 20th Sep. on Friday. As you suggested we got ready by 7 and visited mandir. As it was friday there was very less rush. You will not be-leave we were done with Abhishek and Darshan by 8:30 AM. As our stay was there for two days i thought lets first visit Anand Sagar now. And the whole day we spent in Anand Sagar. One thing i would like to clear that they have stopped accepting Annadan receipt against the entry fee for Anand Sagar. They do take entry fee even if you have done any donation. And avoid having food at Anand Sagar, the major problem i think is the Toti which is not fully baked.
    Next day we took a good sleep as i have two childs one of 10 months and one of 3 years. I thought its good to take rest. By the time we wake up we saw that its heavily raining and the first thing in my mind was that it was good that i took decision to complete darshan and anand sagar visit in one day. By 11 AM rain was stopped and we again visited mandir and spent around 2 hours there and then went for maha prasad.
    I would like to share one wonderful experience with you all. I was holding my 10 months daughter in my hands and she was sleeping, so the volunteer who was carrying a board with a msg saying keep silence called another volunteer by sign (as they dont speak to keep silence) and just showed a finger towards me, the other volunteer got what he want to say. He took my out of the line and he took maha prasad for me as it was not possible for me to carry it and carried till the place where i was going to sit. I will never forget this wonderful experience.
    Pranaav really the Bhakt Nivas 5 rooms are wonderful. I took a threebed room and it was spacious which cost me just Rs650/- a day. I had food at Snehanjali around 2 times, its good.
    Overall the experience was wonderful and i will visit this place again and again.
    I thank you Pranaav as your blog has made my visit memorable.
    Only thing i regret is that i missed the aarti, but i will make sure that i attend it the next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Praveen,
      Thank you for your comments and inputs - I will make the necessary changes to the post and update it with new information. It feels great to read your experience and know that you had a wonderful experience.

      Delete
  38. Dear Pranaav,very useful information about Shri Gajanan Maharaj.I want to share a incident with all.Three years back i visited Shagaon with my family.My mother was 82 years old.So i was worried about her darshan of Maharaj.But the people of Sansthan arrenged a wheelchair for her,and they took her in their laps to take Darshan.She was very happy to see Maharaj.Thanks to all people of Sansthan.I visit Shegaon every year,and feel pleasent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sansthan does its best when it comes to treating the bhakts of Gajanan Maharaj - It feels good to know that you had an amazing experience. Keep visiting Shegaon!! :)

      Delete
  39. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Pranaav ji

    Plz tell me Shegaon Bhakt niwas Contact Number

    My Mail Id is
    riteshd100584@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. Very nice article. If you are planning for luxury train travel then Maharajas Express is one of the best option.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Pranav, Excellent blog by you.
    Just one query. I am planning to start journey from Pune and train reaches Shegaon early morning at around 4 AM. Is it possible to go to bhakta niwas and book room early morning and if yes any office staff available early morning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi -
      Yes, you will find a mode of transport (rickshaw most likely) to go to Bhakt Niwas early morning. The Bhakt Niwas is open for bookings 24/7. Go directly to Bhakt Niwas no.5.

      Delete
  43. Pranav composed a very well written travel itinerary to Shegaon and Shri Maharaj's darshan!
    We are planning to seek Shri's darshan this year - debating whether July would be a good time to visit from Mumbai. Any suggestions from the devotees?

    ReplyDelete